We live in a time of unprecedented connectivity. This is at once beneficial and problematic, as we are presented with new distractions and temptations. I have compiled a list of modern prayers to assist us in our social media endeavors.
Lord, help me be more like the person I am on Twitter.
This is one I have actually prayed. The person I am on Twitter, at least in my perception, is sarcastic, yes, but also encouraging, God-honoring and genuine. But is it really me? I have distilled my best thoughts into 140-character bursts with the luxury of a delete button. Sections of my life lay on the cutting room floor. I encourage people to #initiatelove, but how am I doing with that?
Help me to seek the approval of God and not the “Likes” of men.
So, you publish a post on Facebook. How often do you check back to see who liked it?
- No likes = Should I not have said that? Was it not funny enough? I can do better. I swear I can!
- 1 or 2 likes = Modest, but at least someone knows what I’m talking about. Thanks, Mom!
- 5 to 10 likes = Sweet validation. You’re welcome, Facebook.
- 15+ likes = This is the danger zone. You would have been better off staying at 5-10. At this range you become a greedy auctioneer. “Do I hear 20 likes? Who’ll give me 30?”
Behold the power of the little white thumb. Living for the approval of other people is an exercise in chasing the wind. God help us.
Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from those provocative links on Facebook.
Have you seen this? “Friends, I have been hacked.”
No bro, you have been outed. I know you didn’t realize this, but when you clicked on the “Love Them Thongs” page, you gave them permission to inform your entire friends list.
This is definitely one of the redeeming qualities of Facebook, instant accountability. There really are no secrets. The internet is seething with temptation and it is way too easy to get caught in the trap.
Help me not to take “What’s on your mind?” too literally.
I’m still waiting on Zuckerberg to create a post filter, something like, “What else is on your mind?” Yes, we should all champion transparency, but let’s not abandon the inside voice. It is perfectly acceptable to maintain a personal life.
Also, a good question to ask before you post is, “Will this be helpful or hurtful?” Joking is one thing, but the Internet has a way of bringing the inner critic out of all of us; the medium makes it easy to take shots at people from a distance, to judge from the comfort of a smart phone.
Lord, help me encourage those on Twitter to follow me as I follow Christ.
This is what the Apostle Paul would have prayed if Al Gore had invented the Internet a little sooner. For believers, following takes on a deeper meaning. Twitter becomes a platform to glorify God, not to force-feed people with the gospel, but to shine some light. Gaining followers becomes less about ego and more about influence.
This concludes my list. Bow your heads. Let us pray.
Do you have any Modern Prayer suggestions? Feel free to share them in the comments or use #ModernPrayers on Twitter.
Want more [theo]culture? Click the link at the bottom of the page to subscribe and receive new posts via email. No spam. I promise.
- RT @mangalpandeybjp: बिहार में कोरोना के बारे में विस्तृत जानकारी या चिकित्सीय परामर्श चाहिए तो आप अपने सम्बंधित जिले के लैंडलाइन नंबर पर… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Imamofpeace: Look at what the infidels and Jews have made: A machine that produces 2 million masks a day. I wish we can become like the… 2 weeks ago
- RT @AshishBiharBjp: एक पुकार पर पूरे देश में एक ध्वनि पहली बार सुनी 😍 #5baje5minute #CoronaHaregaDeshJitega Thankyou #Korona_Fighters 🙏 h… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Ranjan_zeh: I wonder what these people would have said today #5baje5minute #ThaliBajao #clapforourcarers https://t.co/BFkNwBPiqS 2 weeks ago
- #5baje5minute अब जरा सोचो, अगर मोदीजी ने कहा दिया पाकिस्तान पर कुच करने को, भारतीय पैदल ही लाहौर पहुंच जाएंगे।। 2 weeks ago
- Fred And Ginger Cheered Us Up During The Depression. Might They Do It Again? April 8, 2020 Bob Mondello
- Stephen King Is Sorry You Feel Like You're Stuck In A Stephen King Novel April 8, 2020 Terry Gross
- In An Age Of Screens, Looking For 'Attention' In All The Wrong Places April 8, 2020 Annalisa Quinn
- The 'Schitt's Creek' Finale Gave David A Happy Ending April 8, 2020 Glen Weldon
- Hal Willner, 'SNL' Staple And Acclaimed Music Producer, Has Died April 7, 2020 Anastasia Tsioulcas
- Newest Nintendo 'Animal Crossing' Arrives April 7, 2020 Megan Manata
- Cooking During COVID-19: Family Meals And Fantasies Of Future Dinner Parties April 7, 2020 Dave Davies
- You'll Want To Stop The Car For This 'Redhead By The Side Of The Road' April 7, 2020 Heller McAlpin