How Not To Handle Politics
I seldom wax political, but in light of the impending election, and the gross amount of vitriol dripping from the social media machine, I have decided to toss my hat in the ring and offer a simple How-Not-To list. A penny for your thoughts…
1. Make politicians into 2D caricatures of themselves.
These days, we rely on soundbites and smear campaigns to inform our decisions. This reduces candidates to cardboard cutouts on which we pin medals or throw darts. We strip them of all humanity and nuance, but people are more complex than that. We know this of ourselves. We hate to be painted with broad brush strokes, but that is exactly what we do to politicians.
Spend a little time with fact checking. Research voting histories and career track records, and avoid placing blind trust in the mainstream media. If your assumptions are confirmed, vote accordingly, but don’t cast your ballot based on the emotional appeal of a thirty second commercial.
2. Satan or Savior
He’s either the savior of the world or the devil in flesh… My vote will decide! – Jonathan Martin (on voting logic)
Looking at the Internet, it is hard to locate middle ground. The candidate is either the hope of the world or its ultimate destroyer.
For some, Obama is the love child of Oprah and Captain Planet—Clean air for everybody! And you get a car, and you get a car. For others, he is a closet Muslim Socialist working on a plan to provide every female citizen with an in-home abortion kit.
Some herald Romney as the man who will single-handedly bring God back into America, and money too, lots of it. God and bags of cash. To others, Romney is the tax-evading tycoon in magic underpants, itching to turn America into a business he can sell overseas while his Mormon buddies baptize the dead on the White House lawn.
These men are neither Satan or Savior. Like us, they are bundles of animate flesh with strengths and weaknesses, dreams and good intentions. No politician will ever bring perfect peace to the planet or stop it from spinning, for that matter. Hostility thrives in extremes. This is why so many of our political discussions become contentious debates. Both sides should strive for a measure of objectivity.
3. Don’t Vote For Jesus
Christians, we need to stop saying this. “I vote for Jesus.” He isn’t running for President. Although, it would be kind of hilarious. Can you imagine being the person running against him?
“I will make sure every American is provided with quality healthcare.”
“Jesus, let’s give you a chance to respond.”
“I cure cancer. I’ve also brought people back from the dead, self included.”
Landslide victory. Jesus is not a candidate you can vote for. The Bible calls him the Kings of Kings and Lord of Lords. He isn’t interested in lending his voice to politics, and while God blesses America, He does check in on other nations occasionally. He rules a subversive kingdom not of this world. He isn’t Republican or Democrat. He doesn’t fit in any of our categories. Our call is to serve him faithfully and treat others respectfully, especially those with alternate views.
We are voting for a human being on November 6th. We would all do well to remember that.
What would you add to the How-Not-To list? Share in the comments section below.
Want more [theo]culture? Click the link at the bottom of the page to subscribe and receive new posts via email. No spam. I promise.
Photo Credit: purplemattfish (Creative Commons)
- RT @mangalpandeybjp: बिहार में कोरोना के बारे में विस्तृत जानकारी या चिकित्सीय परामर्श चाहिए तो आप अपने सम्बंधित जिले के लैंडलाइन नंबर पर… 2 months ago
- RT @Imamofpeace: Look at what the infidels and Jews have made: A machine that produces 2 million masks a day. I wish we can become like the… 2 months ago
- RT @AshishBiharBjp: एक पुकार पर पूरे देश में एक ध्वनि पहली बार सुनी 😍 #5baje5minute #CoronaHaregaDeshJitega Thankyou #Korona_Fighters 🙏 h… 2 months ago
- RT @Ranjan_zeh: I wonder what these people would have said today #5baje5minute #ThaliBajao #clapforourcarers https://t.co/BFkNwBPiqS 2 months ago
- #5baje5minute अब जरा सोचो, अगर मोदीजी ने कहा दिया पाकिस्तान पर कुच करने को, भारतीय पैदल ही लाहौर पहुंच जाएंगे।। 2 months ago
- 'Running For Your Life': A Community Poem For Ahmaud Arbery May 27, 2020 Rachel Martin
- HBO Max's Original Series: A Guide For The Perplexed May 27, 2020 Linda Holmes
- Autism Spectrum Diagnosis Helped Comic Hannah Gadsby 'Be Kinder' To Herself May 26, 2020 Terry Gross
- 'St. Christopher On Pluto' Follows The Adventures Of 2 Friends In An Old Buick May 26, 2020 Maureen Corrigan
- How Winston Churchill Pulled Britain Through The Early Years Of WWII May 25, 2020 Dave Davies
- Art Of The New Deal: How Artists Helped Redefine America During The Depression May 25, 2020 Neda Ulaby
- Movie Review: 'On The Record' With Russell Simmons' Accusers May 24, 2020 Eric Deggans
- What I Learned From Writing Letters To Strangers Across America May 24, 2020 Elise Hu