For much of my life, I held the opinion that Christians were wise to keep their noses out of matters of state and culture. After all, Planet Earth, along with its unsavory inhabitants, is headed to hell in a handbag. A literal hell, with flames and tears and gnashing teeth.
Therefore, we should spend our limited time wisely, plucking souls from the gas-soaked Louis Vuitton before the match is lit, moving as many people as possible from lost to found.
What is the point of pushing social and political change in light of the reality of hell, to make the ride a little more comfortable?
How valuable is a vote or a tiny carbon footprint when eternity is crouching around the corner? Christians should be planting churches, not running for office or helping Al Gore combat Global Warming. Right?
I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was operating from an Either/Or worldview, either focus on the culture or focus on God’s kingdom. But much of the faith experience—much of life in general—is actually Both/And.
Grace and Truth.
Justice and Mercy.
The Here-And-Now and The Hereafter.
John Piper says that “Christians tend to be in two camps: Caring only about suffering now or caring only about suffering in eternity.”
Sadly, for years I proudly pitched my tent at Camp Eternity—not that Camp Now is a better alternative.
Ignoring eternity to clean up the present is like dressing someone up for a car wreck.
So, what is the proper approach? Read More…
- RT @SadhguruJV: Spirituality is not something you can do on the outside, in a temple, mosque, or church – it has to happen within yourself.… 1 week ago
- @Officialneha So beautiful. God bless. Will definitely watch movie. 1 week ago
- RT @mrraisahab: बॉयकॉट का समर्थन करने वाले वादा करेंगे कि जिन जिन सितारों ने JNU हिंसा पर आवाज़ उठाई है, उनमें से किसी की फ़िल्म नहीं देखें… 1 week ago
- RT @ishkarnBHANDARI: I have instructed my office to find out name used in Deepika Padukone movie for the accused who threw Acid. His real… 1 week ago
- RT @ishkarnBHANDARI: This is not secularism to change accused who is Muslim in real life to Hindu name in movies. This is defamation of Hi… 1 week ago
- Not My Job: We Quiz Food Writer Alison Roman On Cooking The Books January 18, 2020
- 'Little Gods' Reminds Us Some Questions Are Better Left Unasked January 18, 2020 Gabino Iglesias
- 'Why Religion?' Asks 'How Hearts Can Heal' After Tragedy January 17, 2020 Terry Gross
- Final Round January 17, 2020
- The Swing Of Things January 17, 2020
- This Is United States January 17, 2020
- Hashtag Challenge January 17, 2020
- Marina Franklin: Single Black Female January 17, 2020