For much of my life, I held the opinion that Christians were wise to keep their noses out of matters of state and culture. After all, Planet Earth, along with its unsavory inhabitants, is headed to hell in a handbag. A literal hell, with flames and tears and gnashing teeth.
Therefore, we should spend our limited time wisely, plucking souls from the gas-soaked Louis Vuitton before the match is lit, moving as many people as possible from lost to found.
What is the point of pushing social and political change in light of the reality of hell, to make the ride a little more comfortable?
How valuable is a vote or a tiny carbon footprint when eternity is crouching around the corner? Christians should be planting churches, not running for office or helping Al Gore combat Global Warming. Right?
I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was operating from an Either/Or worldview, either focus on the culture or focus on God’s kingdom. But much of the faith experience—much of life in general—is actually Both/And.
Grace and Truth.
Justice and Mercy.
The Here-And-Now and The Hereafter.
John Piper says that “Christians tend to be in two camps: Caring only about suffering now or caring only about suffering in eternity.”
Sadly, for years I proudly pitched my tent at Camp Eternity—not that Camp Now is a better alternative.
Ignoring eternity to clean up the present is like dressing someone up for a car wreck.
So, what is the proper approach? Read More…
- RT @mangalpandeybjp: बिहार में कोरोना के बारे में विस्तृत जानकारी या चिकित्सीय परामर्श चाहिए तो आप अपने सम्बंधित जिले के लैंडलाइन नंबर पर… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Imamofpeace: Look at what the infidels and Jews have made: A machine that produces 2 million masks a day. I wish we can become like the… 2 weeks ago
- RT @AshishBiharBjp: एक पुकार पर पूरे देश में एक ध्वनि पहली बार सुनी 😍 #5baje5minute #CoronaHaregaDeshJitega Thankyou #Korona_Fighters 🙏 h… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Ranjan_zeh: I wonder what these people would have said today #5baje5minute #ThaliBajao #clapforourcarers https://t.co/BFkNwBPiqS 2 weeks ago
- #5baje5minute अब जरा सोचो, अगर मोदीजी ने कहा दिया पाकिस्तान पर कुच करने को, भारतीय पैदल ही लाहौर पहुंच जाएंगे।। 2 weeks ago
- Fred And Ginger Cheered Us Up During The Depression. Might They Do It Again? April 8, 2020 Bob Mondello
- Stephen King Is Sorry You Feel Like You're Stuck In A Stephen King Novel April 8, 2020 Terry Gross
- In An Age Of Screens, Looking For 'Attention' In All The Wrong Places April 8, 2020 Annalisa Quinn
- The 'Schitt's Creek' Finale Gave David A Happy Ending April 8, 2020 Glen Weldon
- Hal Willner, 'SNL' Staple And Acclaimed Music Producer, Has Died April 7, 2020 Anastasia Tsioulcas
- Newest Nintendo 'Animal Crossing' Arrives April 7, 2020 Megan Manata
- Cooking During COVID-19: Family Meals And Fantasies Of Future Dinner Parties April 7, 2020 Dave Davies
- You'll Want To Stop The Car For This 'Redhead By The Side Of The Road' April 7, 2020 Heller McAlpin